AUSTRALIA’S new year was marred by a string of shootings, a manhunt and mass panic that sent shockwaves across the country.
Key points:Police in Victoria, where the shooting happened, say a man has been arrested in relation to the shooting in SydneyThe gunman was later found dead in a car in Perth, with a handgun and a number of other firearms seizedPolice in Sydney have released footage of a man they say is believed to be responsible for the Sydney siege.
“We do believe that this is a lone gunman, he has been detained by police in relation and in connection with the Sydney shooting,” Victoria Police Assistant Commissioner Catherine Burn told reporters in Sydney.
“The man has not been located at this stage.”
Police in Perth said they had seized a number, including a firearm, in relation with the shootings in Melbourne, Perth and Perthshire.
Victoria Police have said they are searching for a gunman believed to have killed three people at the Melbourne siege in 2017.
Police have released CCTV images of a white man in a blue shirt, carrying a gun.
“It’s believed to belong to a man who was involved in the Melbourne and Perth siege,” Victoria police assistant commissioner Catherine Burn said.
“This individual was identified through the CCTV footage that was obtained at the scene of the Sydney assault.”
She said police were working with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) in the search for the man.
“Our officers are working to establish whether or not this individual is a member of the armed forces,” Burn said, adding that the man was still being sought.
“If he is not, we will be making further inquiries into that.”
The man, who is believed by police to be in his 20s, has been in custody since Monday and is believed not to be connected to the shootings.
“He was arrested for the shootings that occurred in Melbourne and is currently in police custody,” police said in a statement.
“Police are investigating whether he may have had access to weapons during the siege and whether this was linked to his arrest.”
Police also said the man may have been involved in a stabbing in Perth in March.
“At this stage, it is not known whether or how the man had contact with a weapon during the incident in Perth,” the statement said.
Police released CCTV footage of an unknown man in blue in Perth on Monday, a day after a man was killed in a siege in Sydney.(ABC News: Daniel MacLeod)”A number of firearms and ammunition were recovered at the time, but police are not yet able to establish the identity of the individual or to provide any further information.”
Police said the gunman was not seen in any footage of the siege or other violent incidents on Saturday.
“There are no known links to the Perth siege at this time,” a police statement said, confirming he was in custody.
Police said they would hold a press conference in Perth later on Monday to discuss what had happened in the siege, and provide further details about the gunman.
“Anyone with information is urged to contact police immediately,” a statement said in Perth.
“All information will be passed to the Australian Federal Police (AFP) in relation of the investigation.”
In Melbourne, a woman was shot in the leg as she tried to intervene after she was threatened by a man at a cafe.
Police in Melbourne released CCTV photos of a person of interest (PIO) who was seen on CCTV walking in the vicinity of the cafe.(ABC: Ian Taylor)Police in Adelaide said a man had been detained in relation for the attack in Sydney, which resulted in the death of a gunman in the city on Monday.
“A man has recently been detained for allegedly participating in an armed attack on a Melbourne cafe in March 2017,” police in the state’s capital said.ABC/wires